Monday 25 June 2018

Notes on a positive groundwork session

Keeping it going after our coaching with Jo.

A super session with Fina this morning, taking it slowly works best for both of us and gets us further as we both need time to think and not lose the plot under pressure. Slow and right beats fast and wrong. Apparently we are not ready for fast and right!

We warmed up with some sideways on and off the fence, we have cracked this and stopped the drift after Jo's help. Then, as I had messed up the long and low a couple of days ago and we are having to rebuild confidence on that, we did shaping on the circle first. We have been doing this for some time so we are both confident and can stretch the bubble. Then I mixed it up with some long and low and kept at it patiently, it is working well at walk now and taking it into trot in small increments. I was rewarded by a slack line and a horse soft and light in my hand, then she produced some lovely relaxed jaw movements as we were walking, such as they usually give after a massage! This is a mega release for Fina. I love how this stuff works when you get it right! Now I know what we are looking for.

After a break, we did transitions on a circle, my reward there was getting 2 eyes and 2 ears, asking questions, and very positive responses. I mixed in some stick to me, and managed to extend my own walk so she would trot beside me, which also meant she had to put more effort and less speed into her trot. Then we tried canter stick to me and on the second attempt she offered a few strides so we ended on that triumph.

No comments: